Monday, April 26, 2010

~Mi Pequeña Amor ~

My alarm rings out
And I shuffle my way
Into the kitchen, longing for
The melodious call that
Sings of the coffee maker’s drip.

The innocent Spanish rhetoric
Drifting through the otherwise
Silent bedroom speaks of your still
Sweetly slumbering growth.

As the last drop of cream laden, sugary
Coffee
Descends from my still steaming cup
I hear your tiny voice calling for me.

With a sharp creak of the decades old hinges,
I step into your presence
Joy-pure and untainted beams-across your sweet face
Your brilliant eyes connecting with mine,
You call my name in rapid repetition
As I lift your petite, Johnson’s smooth person
From the cherry wood crib.

Cleansing the soil from you,
I change your Sesame Street Pamper
And adjust your one of many
Dora! pajamas
While you ripple with laughter
In vain, attempt to wiggle to freedom.
The excitement and love
That flows in invisible waves
Crashes over me
Every single day.
The hours flow freely
While I increase the number of
Tools to cultivate
Your life.

A life that someday
I will no longer witness
From this Earth.

How great the impact
We have on one another
Individually
Taught
We have taught each other
Love
You and I
The old
And the new.
~Shawn N. Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment